> Subject: [IxDA Discuss] To use a colon or not to use a colon after
> field labels
>
> Could anyone help me on the subject of whether to use colons after field
labels. I have found one accessibility paper and a few other
not-so-respected sources that indicate that colons after field labels help
screen reader users, as well as normal vision users, to expect an input
field. However, after years of including colons after field labels, our copy
dept now maintains that a colon is punctuation and shouldn't be included
after field labels. I've also found Jarrett's, "No one cares about colons
but UX people" and Luke W doesn't mention it in his book :(.  Has anyone
fought this battle before? Do you have any sources that you could point me
to?

You have accurately summarised my article:
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article3112.asp

As Luke doesn't mention colons, maybe we should add "and not even a lot of
them" to the end of the summary :-)

But maybe you missed the follow-up one?
http://www.usabilitynews.com/news/article3200.asp

That discussed the problem of screen readers and colons at the end of
labels.

So far as I have been able to find out since then, it used to be the case in
the Olden Days that screen readers relied on colons as a cue about where the
label might be. These days, they rely more on the actual mark-up. So
provided that you are using "label" tags appropriately, the screen reader
doesn't need the colon. The user may or may not hear 'colon' depending on
whether the screen reader is set up to read the punctuation.

My suggestion: estimate how long it would take to take all the colons off
the existing forms. Ask your copy people if they truly wish to put that time
in, compared to all the other cool/useful/revenue-earning (delete as
applicable) things that you could be doing. Might help them to make a
decision.

Best
Caroline Jarrett