copying my response back to the list...

On Feb 12, 2009 8:20 AM, "Christopher James Calo" <chris.c...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I don't have much experience with screen readers, but I think more semantic
means of communicating label-field connection are preferred.  The label
element's for attribute and the aria labeledby attribute are designed for
this very purpose.  In my minimalist opinion, colons are non-data ink (that
is, they contribute to distracting the eye and don't offer any useful
information).  So I agree with your copy dept and LukeW: throw them out.

Tell me if you need more info on those attributes.

Cheers,
Chris