Ah, yeah - forgot about Verplank

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | w...@semanticfoundry.com
http://blog.semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill
gtalk: semanticwill
twitter: semanticwill

On Feb 17, 2009, at 5:09 PM, dave malouf wrote:

I thought Tog was a good choice from earlier, Dan and not on your
list. His work at Apple is pretty, neat!

But in general, your list is my list.

I have one other addition which I don't think you left off on
purpose, but that is Bill Verplank. Ok, another addition Gillian
Crampton Smith. Ok, another addition Brenda Laurel.

BUT!!! in all honesty people would know Frank Lloyd Wright WAY before
any of these, and most designers regardless of discipline knows Eames
and Rand.

I do not think ANY of the people we listed thus far except for maybe
Nielsen are "rock stars" in that sense, but I would never call
Nielsen a designer.

One of the reaons we are not great is b/c by definition we don't
finish anything. Ive will always be the headliner to an Apple product
regardless of who heads the Human Factors Group at Apple. They all
remain pretty faceless despite doing some of the best IxD work since
the Alto (arguable, but I'll stand by it for now just to be
provocative).

We do amazing rockstar worthy work, but we aren't called out for it.

Some exceptions have been mainly when we called it out ourselves
(which usually doesn't lead to rock-stardom). But only WE know about
them.

-- dave