I have said this before - on their blog site, in conversations with DaveM, other places.

I think they are misguided bordering on clueless. It's one thing to bring together a cabal of policy wonks, academics, and bureaucrats to create a national design policy; it's another act of hubris to not even ask for our input before they draft the darn thing and only after we complain rather loudly about not being included in the discussion or formulation, to seemingly act like they want our support or rubber stamp which they will not get.

Most annoying is that the 1 policy decision/direction they could actually take/recommend that would have a noticeable impact on design in the US is to recommend the re-funding of art and design in all public elementary schools across the country - short of that it's thoroughly useless and some of their recommendations are about as effective as pissing in the wind.
That's my 2 cents.

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | w...@semanticfoundry.com
http://blog.semanticfoundry.com
aim: semanticwill