I agree with Philip for the most part, though I share Mark's split between
frustration and appreciation.

Although it's understandably a weird feeling to have government involvement
in what has purely been a creative space, I also feel there's a lot of
opportunity to do good here - There are a ton of government services that
could benefit from proper application of design thinking, for the good of
the country. As for being 'tied to the government', it doesn't seem like
there will be Men in Black peeking over your shoulder every time you fire up
Illustrator, at least from my reading :) It might be good to look at the way
the UK Design Council operates and examine the role it plays and the effect
it has on the design community there.

While flawed at the moment, I think it's certainly an effort worth pursuing,
with substantial input from the community. But that's the iterative design
process, right? Point #6 worries me substantially, however; I feel like it
would be a bit of a boondoggle at best, and a vehicle for manipulating the
flow of grants or other financial benefits at worst.