Hi,

Ah, nostalgia. :) My first job on the field was not even called anything like design/HCI. It was 10 years ago, very accurately at that, and I was in a developer position to design and program auditorium control systems. These touch-screen things you all must know and which never work as they should (Crestron, AMX, Cue and alike).

It was for a small retailer, though, where I was the sole responsible for the systems I made (they later on had others to scale up). Everybody thought it more of an engineering job, but it was really the whole package. It was also very much on shoe-string budget at times.

I did that to fund my studies, and it was fun while it lasted (Toyota Motors, Accenture, Finnish Defence Forces, etc.). There certainly was a lot to be hoped for too, especially when it came to established processing (none), but I think what was most beneficial was that it was so chaotic at times. You were able, and had to, experiment on your own and got to see various approaches and outcomes, some of which worked better than others. Additionally you got direct customer feedback from the actual users of the system and had to iterate and fix your things within the technical boundaries that were there. It also taught to speak and co-operate with others who built the wirings and designed electronics to support non-standard stuff.

Oh, those were the times indeed. :)

-Janne Kaasalainen