When I finished grad school, I chose to work on a commercial software
product as both designer and researcher. I was hesitant about the
company but really thought the application was a good fit and I'd
get a chance to do a little bit of everything. But it really is like
Scott says - you should pick the company, not the project. While I
loved the product I worked on, and definitely had good managers and
colleagues, the company wasn't strong or supportive and very soon
the development team for my application was sent overseas.

Look for a company with potential for growth and that demonstrates
respect for employees with educational/training support, a team
atmosphere, and a pleasant working environment... and if possible,
that offers a chance to work on a variety of project types.

Samantha LeVan
www.perfecttuna.com