Hello,
Long-time persona skeptic here. IMHO, understanding the people whose lives
you are going to affect with your decisions is non-negotiable. If you're not
doing that, you can't say you're "designing." But any particular method IS
negotiable and probably expendable or at least flexible. Which leads to my
issue with at least some of the practice related to personas: the method
sometimes seems to substitute for the goal. Personas are sometimes made
without real understanding and empathy making it into the heads and hearts
of the team. As others have pointed out on this thread and others in the
past, one can achieve that goal with or without persona.

I'm grateful to have persona as one item in the Big Bag of Tricks for
communicating insights and facilitating understanding. But as soon as they
become "part of the process," I start to worry that the desire for a
standard, easily-teachable and repeatable approach has suppressed the more
critical need to wisely choose methods to suit the situation.

If clients are questioning the value of persona, I'd say they're asking good
questions. In answer to that questioning, I would want to engage in a
conversation about Who needs to understand What in order to design well,
what stands in the way of the team's unity of vision and intention, and what
methods could be brought to bear on the situation.

Cheers,
Marc

. . .
Marc Rettig