I just wrote about field research and personas for HarvardBusiness.org

http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/merholz/2009/03/the-best-way-to-understand-you.html

The heart of my message there is that the best way to understand your customers is to Go To Them.

The follow on is that not everyone in a company can Go To Them, and we need means by which field research findings and insights can be shared. Video highlight reels are very powerful, but, I think, insufficient.

In my experience, a well-crafted persona, and placing that persona in some strong scenarios, is the single best tool we have to spread empathy throughout an organization. It probably shouldn't be the only tool, but if you have time for just one, and you want to help your colleagues achieve a visceral understanding of your customers, I don't know of a better tool than personas.

--peter