I agree. In my experience, any client who sees color and images focuses
on whether they like that color or whether that image fits, and don't
pay attention to the more important elements (at this stage in the
process), which include the related issues of clarity of navigation, how
easy it is for users to fulfill their goals, whether the most important
tasks are readily findable, whether the page flow makes sense. This can
and much more can all be done in wireframes (I use Visio) in a fraction
of the time it takes to code it, which allows the client to provide
feedback earlier and keeps me from going down a wrong path, while
letting me know when I'm going down the right one. I can also make
changes on-the-fly when meeting with clients so that we can immediately
see how their suggestions might enhance or detract from the user
experience. You can do this with FireWorks too, but here you have
usually added color and images (unless people are making grayscale
prototypes in FireWorks?) which detract from the team's and client's
abillity to think objectively about the afore-mentioned critical
elements. At least for me, making changes on-the-fly with HTML within
the span of a meeting would be difficult!

Speaking of hi-fidelity prototyping tools, has anyone used Silverlight
extensively? Could you share your experiences?

Thanks,
Courtney Jordan