On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:46 PM, Jared Spool wrote:

Based on what data? I have studies that say that, in most apps, most experts can't tell you what the icons they look at, day-in and day- out, do or represent.

I'm with Jared on this one, as my experience and research shows the same. Additionally, there was a study done in europe several years back that looked at over 100 icons tested globally. Universally, participants could only identify/predict 6-8 of them. The point of the study was that icons w/labels work best.

The only way "an expert" or non-novice user would perform better is one that's expert with that specific system, but not an expert in general. And that would only occur with trial and error to discover what the icon does or leads to.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Principal Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@messagefirst.com
AIM:    twar...@mac.com