Chauncey asked:
> Jared, could you post your results of your study
> - I've been getting a
> similar question about icons.

Anecdotally: I've found that it's possible to take any moderately well-used
program, e.g. Powerpoint, and use it to demonstrate the problems of icon
recognition.

- capture all the icons from the program's ordinary screen,
- take them out of context
- ask people what the icons are for
- now try it again with the icons in their usual places
- now try it a third time with the icons in their usual places and their
usual captions (if any)

I used to do this in Open University tutorials to help get students thinking
about recognition over recall.

Even people who use the program regularly will have startling gaps in their
knowledge. Both the context and the labels are important.

(Another trick I've tried is to ask people what the icons on their keyboard
mean - on PC keyboards in the UK, there's usually one with a sort of wavy
flag and another with a vertical oblong with an arrow on it. All you IX
people probably use them all the time, but many others are surprised to find
that those keys are present on the keyboard and have to try them to find out
what they might be for. Not that text is necessarily better: UK keyboards
have an "Alt Gr" key that is incomprehensible to nearly everyone).

Best
Caroline Jarrett
www.formsthatwork.com
"Forms that work: Designing web forms for usability"
Foreword by Steve Krug