On Mar 29, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Jon Kolko wrote:

==

I can agree that an "experience" is a personal thing that can no more be designed than love can be architected or happiness blueprinted. But we *can*
create the affordances that suggest, coax, and guide users towards
experiences we designers can reasonably *hope* or even *expect* to occur,
experiences that our own experience tells us are *likely* to occur.

==

I descibe what I do to clients as designing "experience frameworks" or
designing "experience scafolds", and I make the above point over and over
again.

So we should call ourselves "experience framework designers"?

It begs the question, What does it mean to design interactions?

Or, look at the field of "industrial design". Does that mean those people design industries?

I find the idea that "experience design" is somehow not valid because "you can't design experiences" to be a red herring at best, and a canard at worst. Our community has no other accepted term to address the breadth that experience design discovers, with the possible exception of "design," but that word has been so abused and pejorated over the last, I don't know, at least 50 years, that we can't hang our collective hat there.

--peter