Todd,

I think we both agree that design is about purpose and process - about doing
something systematically, and attending to the craft and detail of the
result.

If I claim to "design a rollercoaster", I intend for it to be duplicated -
exactly as I created - over and over.

If I claim to "design the experience of using the rollercoaster", it follows
that I intend for that use to be duplicated - exactly as I created - over
and over.

If I claim to "design the experience framework in which the rollercoaster is
used", it leaves room for people to experience it in their own way.

In this case, it's a totally semantic distinction, and it's a critical one.

JK

--

http://interactions.acm.org

http://www.thoughtsoninteraction.com