A wider rating system might be biased a) in favour of famous people,
b) against static prototypes whose working needs to be explained in
text (rather: in favour of slick and expensive presentations
regardless of idea quality), or c) ideas that are. How will ideas
that have never been rated (ie, just passed over and not voted on
because no one was interested) be treated? Will they be forgotten or
dragged up again in the future until enough people do vote?

Sorry if I sound skeptical - I'm not really - but I'm aware that
crowd mentality doesn't always work.