>>they are usually skewed and if you are not very careful on
how to set your rating criteria and make sure that you only collect
'good' data you end up with something like DIGG - which might be
the 'wisdom of crowds' but doesn't necessarily reflect a solid &
robust judgment call.

Not letting someone see what the choices are and claiming ability to make a
solid & robust judgement call is where skewing begins.

>>identify the good ideas (bubble them up) and sinks the bad ones..

I think open source collaboration makes this statement a bad one in itself.