Forgive a girl a little shorthand for the sake of this medium?

I kept the footer because the business liked it, one participant really relied on it, it did no substantial harm, it's an emerging pattern, and I had worked with that previous UX consultant for something like eight years and in general trust his nose for these things. So -- put it in, measure how it works, make sure it's easy enough to rip it out later if it turns out to be a bad thing or if we have the time in the future to imagine and thoroughly test a really, really excellent thing.

Plus, we had much, much bigger fish to fry and a very limited budget and time frame on which to fry it. So I opted to spend more effort on the primary systems than on the redundant ones.

Make sense?