> Okay, I realize this contention is tangential to the main point here, but
> you made some pretty strong statements that I think misrepresent the nature
> of coding and developers.  You say that I am "lucky" and that I'm not
> representing a trend; I'll have to beg to differ.  In this respect I'm not
> lucky nor exceptional but pretty par for the course.  To illustrate, I threw
> together a quick poll and circulated it to my dev connections.

Fascinating stuff. Still, I've had 20 or 30 conversations in my personal
life that unanimously went the other way, with practically every last person
wholeheartedly agreeing that coding is a tough skill to keep up on, not
practicing it for a while (even a short while) can be seriously detrimental,
and that it's remarkably rare for someone to be great (key word: great) at
both design and development — so rare, in fact, that when someone actually
knows a person like that, they excitedly refer to that person as "amazing"
and feel significantly humbled by contrast.

Must just be a coincidence.

-r-