On May 23, 2009, at 10:54 AM, Joshua Muskovitz wrote:

Taking a design from concept through code is a great set of skills
that I'm betting many a manager would pay handsomely for right now.
You get increased skills without increased headcount %u2014 a great
value.

And yet I remain unable to find these managers! Where are they?!?!?

I think that you'll be best off looking for a manager seeking a top- notch designer or a manager seeking a top-notch implementor. It's unlikely they'll be seeking both, since they probably are of the school that it would be unlikely to find someone who has talents in both.

Then, once you've found the position in either area, I think you need to do 2 things:

1) Make sure you prove that you're an excellent designer/implementor -- whichever they are seeking. That's what they'll be looking for, so to get their attention, your resume, cover letter, and portfolio better talk to that directly. This implies have a separate resume and portfolio, depending on the position you're going after.

2) Once you've shown them your expertise and gotten their attention on their immediate needs, then you can open them up to the idea that you can do more than what they are seeking. Not every manager will go for it, but smart ones will. So, you need a way to open up your experience to them in stages.

Hope that helps,

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: @jmspool
UIE Roadshow: Seattle, Denver, DC in June: http://is.gd/gxwe