The IxDA SF event was held at Adobe (an excellent meeting venue and generous spread) and the evening concluded with a lengthy Catalyst demo from a key guy on their team. I'm spacing his name but he's in one of their online demo vids as well. Anyways, afterwards, I corralled him and said what was up with their delayed Fireworks integration. He said that the Fireworks workflow was not going to be as integrated as Photoshop and Illustrator. (I didn't press for specifics but maybe it's in that round-trip?) Naturally, I protested loudly. To no avail. :)

My guess is that its origin as a Macromedia product has either spelled its demise politically within Adobe (the lead Fireworks guy, Alan Musselman, has left the company) or else technically in terms of its code base being too different from Photoshop & Illustrator. An *extremely* unfortunate state of affairs; IMO, there is no better interaction design tool for documenting production-ready GUIs than Fireworks (for static images)...or, well, at least that was true before CS4.

Cheers,
Liz