I've been using Fireworks since the first version and always preferred it over Photoshop for several reasons:

1) Most UI work involves moving around objects, whether they are buttons, fields, labels, blocks of text or other graphic elements. Fireworks is essentially a vector environment with some bitmap tools, which is pretty much the reverse of Photoshop. This means that if you are working with a design, doing iterations, and someone suggests a button be moved or a field expanded, in Photoshop it often meant some bitmap editing, unless you want hog-wild with a layer for every single solitary element.

2) Fireworks integrates web tools, such as slicing and image-map tools into the drawing environment. For instance, you can select a button, and then choose 'Create Hot Spot', and it will size it perfectly to size. This is really handy for creating complex, dense image maps for prototyping. While things have gotten better in Photoshop, in earlier versions, you would frequently find yourself re-doing source files, re- exporting, and redoing image maps with a couple of tools rather than just one.

3) Fireworks' native file format is PNG. That means that you can circulate images to Business types who have no graphic software to speak of, and they can still see your files. This has been a sometimes- yes, sometimes-no situation with Photoshop over the years. PNG is a nice file format to work with for a variety of reasons; it has built- in lossless compression so files aren't huge when you are sending them back and forth, it has transparency, and it supports as much colour as you need (unlike GIF or JPEG which lose quality for either of those reasons). Its a big win when you can say to a client that you are always working with PNGs, so they can see things at every step of the way, instead of flattened proxies.

4) There are several graphic effects, notably bevels and drop shadows, that were helpful in UI design work (although they often have become a bit overused, in my opinion), but the fact that they were, up until recently, only non-destructive in Fireworks was a help. Again, these also appear in Photoshop, but they are again, for each layer rather than on an object by object basis. The ability to copy and paste object styles while in the early design stages is a great way to see a large set of elements in different colours and tones quickly.

5) Fireworks has more recently included a lot of the active guide features that Omnigraffle had. These are a god-send for doing quick, drag and drop UIs because alignment and centering is pretty much done on-the fly.

6) For large, complex projects, Fireworks' Image and object style libraries helped me make sure that colours, bevels, shadows, and other elements were always consistent from drawing to drawing. The image library can include an entire widget set, and their new 5-slice resizing ensures that even if you make a button longer to accommodate a longer string of text, the rounded corners don't become a different scale or in the case of a bitmap, start to blur.

7) Fireworks provides a multi-page document format that lets you generate clickable PDFs (or you can export a series of pages to a series of JPEGs or GIFs, if necessary) so that you can delivery prototypes easily. For web projects. I find that 90% of the communication that I need to make about UI layouts and sequence can be handled by these prototypes.

8) When working with Flash programmers, the ability to export my files as swf files is nice too, as they can open them and animate them without having to re-create anything.

I agree, however, that CS4 has made a mess of some things. When Adobe took the tool from Macromedia, they completely ruined the text handling (and there were horrendous bugs that had me literally screaming when I opened files and found text moved around (and sometimes unfixable). I also agree that the Adobe Palette UI is idiosyncratic and the windowing and docking is really annoying. That said, the alignment tools have been so helpful, that I can't see myself going back, especially since they sent out a set of patches to address the text mess.

I remember Deneba Canvas (as well as Superpaint - remember that?). Don't know about Studio/8, but as far as I can tell, if Adobe keeps Fireworks as more of a Web prototyping tool (and, I suppose, an Adobe Air and Flex prototyping tool), I think it will do well.

--
David Drucker
ddruc...@mac.com