On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM, James Page <jamesp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anybody actually done some research into how many people it effects?
> I find most times I type a wrong password it is not because of a typo,
> but because it is the wrong password. Masking/Unmasking will not help here.
>  For example typing my Twitter password into Gmail, or my Gmail password
> into Twitter.

I agree.  On iPhone and maybe other mobiles, the chance of typo is way
higher.  I can't say how many times I hit the wrong key on my iPhone, but it
is often, and the little preview before mask helps a lot there.  But I have
to say I've been in public rooms and felt exposed even just having this on
my iPhone; I would probably not use a site that tried this for conventional
Web.

The other thing is that when you type on a keyboard, especially something as
rote as a password, you type so fast that the little preview thing doesn't
help anyways.

In short, I think the preview then mask approach really only works on
iPhone/mobile.  We should not be encouraging folks to try this or other
unmasked approaches that are not opt in.  I mean, when I have someone
nearby, I get self-conscious even with masking, and if someone else is, for
instance, signing in to do something for me (like adding my computer to a
domain), I look away out of courtesy--so I don't even see their fingers on
the keyboard.  Not masking is just crazy talk.  I am still baffled that
Nielson suggests it.

-ambrose