Dr. Eric Schaffer, founder and CEO of Human Factors International
talks about his new design approach christened PET Design. It offers a
new approach to help companies influence and deepen their interactions
with online customers through Persuasion, Emotion, and Trust.

http://sachendra.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/going-beyond-usability-the-need-to-design-for-persuasion-emotion-and-trust/

Eric talks about the evolution of software from the early days, when
software, hardware were differentiators which have now become a
commodity… similarly, he says, usability was a differentiator but it’s
now become essential. You have to have great software and hardware and
it has to be usable. The differentiator now, he believes, is to make
the software more persuasive and engaging.

Although I completely agree with Eric, I don’t think this is a
revelation… you obviously need to design products that engage the
customers so that you can meet business goals, and I can’t think of
any Product Manager or UX designer not trying to do that from the
outset.

Is it just me or do you think that this is what we’ve been doing all
along anyway?

--
Sachendra Yadav
http://sachendra.wordpress.com