I haven't read the book, but I did sit through a presentation about
it from HFI and have read a couple of essays.

I think that what he's done is two-fold: A) put some decent
packaging around a set of concepts that, as you say, have been part
of design forever (though with various levels of realization by
practitioners); and B) help bring the ideas a little further out of
the fuzziness that they tend to have around them so the discussion
can be more convincing and eye-opening.

Many of us in this field have already learned about these things
through other means (there are many good books about them), but
Schaffer seems to help focus the concepts better on our specific
issues.

ph