Hello Philip,

You mentioned a book in your note.  What book was that?  B. J. Fogg's
book, Persuasive Technology takes principles of persuasion from
Marketing and Social Psychology and discusses how they can be applied
to the design of technology.  Technology can be usable, but not
persuasive.

If there is another book out, I would be curious to read it.  There is
a book by Robert Cialdini who is the guru on persuasion in the real
world and I would highly recommend that.  Just search for "robert
cialdini persuasion" and it should pop up.

Chauncey