Just to add one further thought about the non-strict HTML available versions
of publications: they often divorce themselves from the URL/Bookmark
ecoystem of the web at large, and that is perhaps their largest evil.

What is the point of some slick and page-turning interface when they have no
URL to bookmark, no way to return from outside the app, and most social
bookmarking systems also will require a URL as a coin of the realm.

I've seen Zinio and some of these companies/tools, but most of them seem to
me like cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.

Chris