On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Rob Enslin wrote:

Judging the responses it appears that the majority of you report
(anecdotally and with data) user experiences not living up to their original print versions and expectations. Whilst there are some advantages to be gained (richer content, more visual, hyper-linking, tracking, etc) from electronic versions, looking at alternative options might be better time
spent. Alternatives might include mobile (including apps) versions,
kindle-type offerings, and existing online improvements.

I think that the value in online news sources is that you can do things that can't be done in print. Emulation of a print metaphor (full-page spreads, turning pages) is akin to how television tried to emulate live theatre when it first emerged (fixed-position cameras, lighting, and staging).

I think those institutions that look at the experience of taking in news, understanding the different contexts and objectives, will come away with innovations that really make an online news source something very desirable.

I want to highlight Andrew DeVigal and the team at the New York Times with the amazing work they are doing. The NYTimes interactive pieces are brillliantly constructed and quickly immersive. They tell the story and give perspective in a way you can't see from the print edition.

Print will always have its place, but interactive news is going to come into its own very quickly as a desirable and engaging experience.

That's my opinion. (As always, it's worth exactly what you paid for it.)

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: @jmspool