> I'd argue that the whole thing is an interface, not just
intersections.

Indeed.  And I'd also add that it's not just about the design of
the driving experience, but also of the entire urban experience
(being a pedestrian, being a cyclist, using public spaces, etc.).
This is sometimes referred to as "placemaking."

What's fascinating about designing the urban experience is that
there are so many different perspectives, many of which can be in
conflict with each other.  A simple example is the "need" of a
driver to move from point A to point B as quickly as possible, which
is often in conflict with the need for people to have a safe and
enjoyable pedestrian experience.