Here is an example. of sales and influence.
You have millions of people who cannot afford to buy a house. They just can't.
No money. They should save and wait until they really can afford to even
consider it.  But the mortgage business says, yes you can. Don't worry about
it. It will be fine and we will give you the money to get that dream home.

And guess what. People did.

They saw their bank accounts and they could have done the math, but they wanted
something and went with it. They were indeed lied to. But in addition to real
estate people's pressure and influence, they convinced and influenced
themselves as well.

And many unfortunate people now have a terrible problem.

I don't think that I am saying that people have an unlimited length of time to
analyze their each and every decision. But I do think they balance a decision
in some way like, "I can't afford a Rolex, so I won't get one." It takes less
than a second to reason that, but in that statement it is shown that a person
saw/heard an ad, thought about it and realized "not for me".

Even if you tell people not to be influenced, you are trying to influence them.
We're interactive and social beings and respond to emotional, mental, and
physical triggers constantly. But should people perhaps consider their
decisions more carefully? Yes. Could they benefit from being more self-aware,
self-confident, and independent in their thinking? Yes. Isn't that what this
type of work is ultimately about: to enable users to find their way through
some sort of interface (consider faith/religion and life itself) to make an
informed decision? Yes.