Brian,

that's an interesting example, but even tho it's organ donation, i wouldn't consider it a matter of ethics (ironically, or not, the person's dead). we need to be careful with words here. the form that defaults to opt in hasnt really "influenced the user" but has influenced the outcome. perhaps bias would be a better term. if i were looking at submitted forms i wouldnt be looking for ethical violations but i'd be taking the form's bias into account. bias insofar as user who dont pay attention to the form unwittingly select "yes".

I dont consider the fact that the checkbox is already checked "yes" to influence the user. surely a user is capable of unchecking a checkbox w/o being influenced by its state. or am i making an assumption? ;-)