I love it. Black text is so much more legible than all that other noise.

It's a newspaper, not an e-commerce site: the point is to read the
articles, not to be distractedly clicking links mid sentence like
Wikipedia. Rollovers are subtle but discoverable.

Not so sure about the red italics for unimportant update info,
although I like the blue for offsite links.

A side note that I recently discovered the learn more ? balloon on the
NYTimes website. Click and drag to select text, and a ? appears,
allowing you to search on the term in a secondary window.
(Unfortunately the default is to search Answers.com, but you can
switch it to the NYTimes archive.) They've added metadata to links, so
you get a help balloon that might say "learn more" or it might say
"links to an Iraqi blog on elections." It doesn't work on the home
page, only on the articles.

Very subtle. Maybe like the LA Times, a little too subtle for some
tastes. But I hope a sign of where we're headed, if the main print
journalism sources survive the next decade.

Diana