Seems to me that the "rule" of making links distinctive is far more
important if they're being used as Intriguing Branches within a larger body
of text.
You can use Command Areas (as they do) to offset groups of links and the Tag
Cloud is another case like this.  Titles, especially in the context of
excerpts/lists, make perfect sense--the lack of the full story makes you
want to know more, and the underline on hover is an Invitation to click and
do just that.  In short, when not in the body of text, there are other ways
to make links sufficiently discoverable, and I think they pull it off pretty
well.  Can you imagine if they made all their links underlined or a brighter
color?  It'd overload your brain.

My vote goes with this was the right choice in their case, FWIW. :)