Oof, it's late, but hell, I'll take another swing... :-)

Jared, everything you say is true regarding the limitations of the
tool. I stated as much myself in the earlier post.

Perhaps "see" was a loaded term to use as I didn't mean to imply
that we understood the user's cognitive process - just what their
gaze fixated on. I thought I made that clear, but I guess not.

Jared, I would really appreciate it if you would share the data - or
even the methodology for how you tested your theory. I would conduct
that same test tomorrow to settle this once and for all. If there is
a demonstrable basis to completely invalidate eye tracking then I
would really want to know about it! Contrary to your assertion that
we "make shit up" or bamboozle our clients with "gizmos" we
actually do give a crap about the quality of our work (and our
reputation, with our clients and peers) and we wouldn't be using the
method if we didn't think it had value.

As effective as this forum is as a platform for debate (at least we
can use more than 140 characters), how about we continue it in person
- over a beer -- next time you're in NYC? An "eye tracking beer
summit," if you will. At a minimum, I'd like to try to persuade you
that not everyone who uses an eye tracker is a snake-oil salesman...

NG