It sounds like you are mostly worried about getting good feedback from
users when they are using clicks instead of touches. This is an
understandable concern as touch experiences can be quite different.

Without shipping touchscreen hardware to users, you will need to find
some sort of proxy for the mouse. I wonder if asking the users to
touch their screen with one hand while also moving the mouse to the
same position could help? Asking users to even just pause and touch
the screen to note how that "feels" and what on the interface is
obscured could return interesting insights. Record a video of
yourself doing these acts to show users how you'd like them to
"fake it".

Another aspect you might think about simulating is the performance of
your hardware. Often small, embedded devices are slower than desktop
PC's. Embedded devices often have slower screen refresh times as
well. Simulating this could provide useful. I had to do this when
prototyping an e-ink interface and found that replicating that
strange white/black/white flash you see on the Kindle to be pretty
easy and very eye opening..