Thanks all for the suggestions so far. Our research has shown that the
system is going to have to be accessable to users who can barely use a
computer through to those who are complete tech geeks. As such this
usability testing is being used to gather quantitative data that we
have reached usability goals with an established design before
creating a fully functional version. Additionally we are needing to
verify that the iconography and semantics are properly interpreted
across our sample user base.

I really like the idea of implimenting a 'finger cursor' or even
taking it further so that it masks the full area that would be
obfuscated by a average size hand.