>From: Stephen Holmes <stephenwhol...@me.com>
>
>1. Elevator buttons - I agree, however what stops somebody who
>un-selects YOUR floor so that they go straight past yours to theirs?
>Scenes of "elevator rage" - (pictures at 10!) Solve that one and
>you'll be rich!

Is that cause of elevator rage going to be any more prevalent than when someone
todays punches several buttons that for floors they don't intend to get off on?

But in general, this isn't too difficult to solve.  Instead of just pushing the
button, cause the push to "lock" the button, and add a small ridge on the
button to allow for a finger grip on it (like on the bottom of a non-optical
mouse).  To turn the floor off, you push and twist the button.  While this
wouldn't cure people maliciously un-punching your floor, it would allow fixing
of mistakes and would prevent most accidental turning off of the button by
requiring a small intentionality.

>2. Toilet doors - here in Oz we don't have that issue - public
>toilets at least have to push in - building regs. As for washing
>hands, that is what a hand drier is for? Germs on door-handles is a
>fallacy perpetuated by manufacturers of disinfectant creams and
>toilet seat cover salespeople. Germs can't live that long outside a
>host.

Not long, no.  Anywhere from a few seconds to 48 hours (if the surface is damp,
as it might be from a guy piddling in the urinal and then not wiping his hand).
 Or up for 4 days in the case of Hepatitis C.

That said, even if you washed your hands for  30 seconds in hot water with
disinfectant soap -- and how many of us do? (three people will pipe up right
now) -- you still have a bundle of germs in the ridges of your fingers, under
your nails, crawling down your arms, picked up from the air.  And most of those
are already in you, too.  So there's less new stuff you're going to pick up
than people are led to fear.

>4. Apple Mouse - admit it Steve Jobs - two buttons ARE okay on a
>mouse. Just move one dude! ;-) TFIC

Move on yourself, dude!  Please come out of the 1990s with this old chestnut.
Apple sells two-button mice  these days.  So far as I can tell with a couple
minutes perusal, they only sell the Mighty Mouse now.

(Okay, actually this is technically a no-button mouse, but it is configured as
two-button by default, I think, and can be set for one button or up to four.  I
use one of Apple's with my Acer netbook, in fact.)

-- Jim