Rih,
It will be interesting to see what responses come back re: your post.
I am not aware of any "best practices" or universal approach for
rating, ranking, "favorite-ing", like/dislike, heart, etc. I have
worked in music on line, social networks, and product ecommerce and
finding that the sophistication and complexity of the algorithm
behind the "rate" system defines the quality of the end result.
When I was working for a music site, over time, we found that the
"average" for any song eventually reached 4.0-4.5. We also found
that participation by users to "like/dislike" (the action) was more
frequently done than the users clicking on a star to "rank".
Netflix tends to do the best job of explaining to the user (I think
it is in Netflix's help section) just what the ranking represents.
In your case, a menu item of food truly could be "awful, ok,
delicious" but even then it is so subjective because it truly
reflects the consumer's TASTE (or lack of) and opinion.  Amazon's
reviews provides a bar graph representing rank to the number of
reviewers who share that same ranking opinion.  That is also a fairly
compelling approach.  My position is purely one of opinion but I think
providing a "I like/I dislike" or a thumbs up/thumbs down, is really
about as complicated a rating system needs to get unless you really do
plan to cross tab those ranking responses with other data about your
consumer base to arrive at some marketing profile or user persona.
So my knowledge there is no "guide".  Good luck!
Druid