This post has hit upon an interesting area of design assessment. There have been books - many in fact - written about scale-based assessment and measurement. I couldn't possibly touch on all the relevant points here, but there are some pointers I can provide:

- If your goal is (as dru mentioned) to crosstab responses or generate measures of central tendency such as means, medians, or modes, then a scale approach is more useful than a binary "like/dislike" measure.

- There are always positivity biases in your data, depending on what you're measuring. But there are a whole raft of other biases - extremity bias, negativity bias, centrality bias - that can come into play depending on what your respondents are rating, and even what culture they're from. So you go with your measurement, try to identify and account for the biases you may encounter, and interpret your data in light of the context.

- As some of the responses alluded to, it's sometimes difficult to decide what a "3" or a "1" *means* to each user. One way to address this is to behaviorally anchor your response options. That is, do something like (and this is just a humorous example...) "5 (I would step over my own grandmother to buy this)", "4 (I would buy this if I were walking by the store, but wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it)", etc.

- I strongly caution against using scales with more than 5 response options. And I personally use 4 options quite often, which has the effect of removing the "neutral" option. The reasons are pretty straightforward: Fewer response options: The more response options you use, the harder it is for your respondents to discriminate between any two adjacent options. That is, on a 9-point scale, what's the diff. between a "3" and a "4", a "4" and a "5", etc? Better to use fewer response options. They're more easily discriminable. Removing the neutral option: Research into attitude measurement has shown that people can't *really* hold a neutral attitude. When people choose the "neither agree nor disagree" (or "neither like nor dislike") option, it's actually more an indication that they don't *care* about the item you're asking them to rate. That's different than neither liking or disliking. And if you don't know what you've measured, it's impossible to interpret. Forcing people to take a stand actually gets them more engaged in the question you're asking.

Just M2c, and of course ymmv.

-Paul

Paul Sherman, Principal, ShermanUX
UX  Design | Research | Strategy