On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:45 PM, Weston Thompson wrote:

On the web front, I also dislike very much their use of red to
indicate the primary button in their booking flow.  I have actually
abandoned bookings accidentally due to that more than one time. Doesn't red
mean "avoid"??

No, red does not mean "avoid". It means stop, and luck, and "this is turned on", and tasty, and rare, and wounded, and it's a primary color, and it's a Christmas color, and it's a Valentine's Day color, and you get the picture. And of course in this case, it's a logo color for American Airlines (and for the USA). If you have a "this only means one thing" definition of a given color, you probably have problems on the web beyond not finishing booking airplane tickets.

If you want to tag a single term to the color, I would say it means "pay attention to this", and thus may be a fine thing for "Hey, here's what you click to finish working on this web page".

-- Jim