@himanshu - Like Will said, a master's degree in the US will
typically take two years. The HCI/d master's at Indiana University
requires 36 credit hours to graduate. Technically, you could do that
in about 16 months if you took classes in the summer. For more info
on our program, check out the website:
http://xavier.informatics.indiana.edu/gradsites/hcid/masters/

Just for clarification purposes in response to Will's comment,
Indiana does offer a PhD in Human-Computer Interaction Design. We are
still waiting to award the first degree but several students are in
the final dissertation stages. For more info, check out the site:
http://xavier.informatics.indiana.edu/gradsites/hcid/phd/

@Hugh - First, you can get a master's without depleting your bank
account AND without accumulating any debt if you really want to.
Second, here is some information that will answer the question as to
"what it will get you".

What we%u2019ve accomplished
%u2022  Won the student design competition and the student research
competition at the CHI conference five times.
%u2022  Had at least one team invited to the student design
competition at the CHI conference every year since it's inception.
%u2022  Won the International Usability Professional Association
student design competition.
%u2022  Won the interface design category of Microsoft%u2019s Imagine
Cup in 2008 (one of only two US teams to win).
%u2022  Placed second in the design category of Imagine Cup 2009, and
won the accessible design award, a special commendation for which the
final six teams competed.

Where we go - Opportunities for HCI/d students are plentiful when
combined with tangible skills in technology and business. Our program
provides exactly that mix. Our graduates have gone to work for
(whether as an intern or full-time) Accenture, Adaptive Path, Adobe,
AOL, ARC World Wide, Cerner Corporation, CIBER, Cisco Systems, Cook
Medical, Design Kitchen, Disney Animation Studios, EA, eComplex, Epic
Systems, Google, Hewlett Packard, Intuit, Level, Lexmark, Manhatten
Associates, Microsoft, NAVTEQ, Option Six, Oracle, Pearson Education,
Siemens, Volkswagen, Whirlpool.

I am sure that Dave and others can give you many more examples of the
benefits of an IxD Master's degree.

@Dave - I think the "certificate" issue is a very pertinent
question and deserves further exploration. Don't want to hijack this
thread but would like to find out where employers stand on this.