I've dropped mine several times, but it doesn't seem the uses of the
iPad are exactly matched with the iPhone -
"running to the taxi", for instance.  Of course it's durability is a
concern, and may prove to be a major
shortcoming, but I think so much of the discussion seems to be around
it being in the same space as the iPhone/iTouch,
or for the single persona of "UX practitioner on the IxDA list" (which
you specifically call out here,
so thank you!)

Cheers,
Scott

--
"You always have the carny connection." - Clair High