Overall, a nice and compelling (esp. for some applications) technology
package, but perhaps not groundbreaking at the level all the hype might have
promised.

Top things I was surprised/disappointed it does not include (some already
mentioned):

1. Forward-facing still/video camera (would have made an amazing Skype
terminal, and could have added an incredible dimension to network gaming,
could have allowed "magic mirror" shared whiteboarding, etc.) So many
possibilities there; I guess I need to wait and see next year when gen2 is
announced. :)
2. Flash support (work it out with Adobe, already... the new processor can
probably handle it fine)
3. Pen option (notetaking in the margins of ebooks would be huge for the edu
market; I suppose the soft keyboard could fulfill that function without a
stylus to constantly misplace).
4. Wireless sync, at least for apps. Content could be handled in other ways
(see my next comment). Why should I have to drag it to the computer all the
time? Isn't this thing supposed to help me get untethered from a traditional
computer?
5. Cloud content solution. For now I guess we need to rely on 3rd parties
for similar functionality (see my next comment).

I'm less worried about memory limitations for content; apps like
SimplifyMedia can address that. The future of media distribution (already
underway) is cloud storage and access. With Apple's Lala acquisition, iTunes
in the cloud may not be that far off.

Multi-tasking would have been nice... maybe it will come in a later OS
release. But for the masses and casual use, it's probably okay for now (and
certainly simpler to use), though lack of an ability to run an arbitrary
social networking app in the background is a shame. If you could even run a
main app and a single mini-app simultaneously, that might scratch the itch
for many.

Media-sharing of photos, etc. would have been a nice out of box... e.g., let
your parents/friends subscribe to your iPhoto collection, etc. But 3rd
parties can fill the void there.

I'm excited about the new iPad app suite, not so much because of the
specific apps themselves (some of which are impressive), but because they
(along with the new SDK) will provide a springboard for app developers to
build on and create a new breed of bigger-screen multitouch-based software.
That is what will really spark a revolution.

Robert.

---

Robert Reimann | User Experience Design | Sonos, Inc.