This is a little out of left-field, and sort of related to this
discussion on the resistance of the material:
http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=32320

I've found that by leveraging Hypnagogia (more commonly known as the
snooze button on your alarm clock) a heightened level of associative
thinking can be applied to particular problems.

Here's an excerpt from the wikipedia article on the subject
"Receptivity and suggestibility
Thought processes on the edge of sleep tend to differ radically from
those of ordinary wakefulness. Hypnagogia may involve a
%u201Cloosening of ego boundaries ... openness, sensitivity,
internalization-subjectification of the physical and mental
environment (empathy) and diffuse-absorbed attention, Hypnagogic
cognition, in comparison with that of normal, alert wakefulness, is
characterised by heightened suggestibility, illogic and a fluid
association of ideas."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnagogia

I know it's a little cranola-crunchy.. but if I've been looking at
a problem for a week and feeling stuck in a rut I will make time on a
Saturday morning to ponder the options, more often than not I come
away with new avenues to explore.

food for thought - ymmv.
/pauric