Often, user research can fall into a chasm because there is no up
front thought put into how it can translate into the design.

As others have said, the chasm can be avoided by thinking about what
questions the research should be answering. So as a designer, ask
yourself "What do I need to know?" followed by "Of that, what
don't I know?" and then see if research can answer those questions.

That way the research will be focussed and far more efficient. Not
just research for the sake of creating a report that will sit unread
on a shelf somewhere. Of course some people make a living doing
that... ;-)