In my assessment of this situation in the world at large, User
Experience (UX, or UXD) has become the umbrella term for a range of
fields that consider and address various aspects of the user
experience with products and services. All the fields of UX can be
defined as operating on a spectrum of skills involving Understanding,
Definition, and Communication. IxD is one of the design fields in the
space of DEFINITION, being a sibling of Information Architecture and
Industrial Design and yet other fields.

I created a sundial model to illustrate this understanding of UX and
also took it to the level of assessing the particular practices of
the discipline of IxD that also lie on this spectrum of skills. See:
http://ebacon.posterous.com/sundial-model-of-ux-and-ixd

Along with the other materials proposed in this thread, perhaps this
model can help inform your company's organization and understanding
of the relationships between the larger whole & its constituent
parts.

Cheers,
Liz