Funny, I had the same queasy instinct as Lesia.

Don, from what you've described, the issue may not be encouraging an
honest state of mind, but whether respondents worry there will be
consequences for providing accurate information.

For example several years ago, my HMO invited me to participate in
genetic research. But I have no confidence this information won't be
used in the future to discriminate against me and perhaps deny
coverage, so I declined. (For the record, I'm not aware of any genetic
health issues, aside from not being very trusting.)

One thing you could do is to allow respondents to answer in a way that
guarantees their anonymity but still tracks unique responses.

You might also look at survey design best practices as opposed to UX
design resources. Accurate self-reporting is always a challenge,
whether the group members are required to participate or have the
ability to opt out.

Diana