(we are approaching 2 full years that this "labs" naming has been an issue and discussed[1])

Today, knowing how ingrained the term 'lab' is in the GeoForAll education network, maybe Jachym is correct that it is a good time to modify the Incubation's "labs" term, to something like "Community Projects".

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ica-osgeo-labs/2013-June/000134.html

-jeff

On 2015-03-03 3:42 AM, Suchith Anand wrote:
Vaclav,

Please accept my sincere apologies as it was my mistake that i did not think on
this  when we started the ICA-OSGeo Labs initiative (so many things were going
on at that time!).

In universities, we generally use the "Labs" term to refer to
infrastructure/people/facilities for a particular subject. For example Botany Lab, Robotics Lab
etc. And we wanted to make sure there is a dedicated Open Source Geospatial Lab in universities
worldwide  (which includes bringing together people from various disciplines, infrastructure (the
physical space) and facilities to make this happen. Also it is easier to make use of the same
terminology/structure of "Labs" which is widely used in the university environment to get
academics start the initiative in their respective universities (also it is easier for them to
convince their higher management on a structure that is known to them than reinvent a new term for
this) .

So it will very helpful for us if you can make use of new "OSGeo-projects" and
metioned star (or similar) rating system for the incubation as then there is no confusion
in the future. Many thanks for your consideration.

Best wishes,

Suchith