Transcoding to FLAC requires very little overhead and is lossless, so what
is the problem?  Ogg support would be nice but it's without a doubt the
least used format out there (even apple lossless seems to have more
devotees) and slim is providing a totally accepteable solution (transcoding
to a lossless format).