I have a lot of CDs that were originally released on vinyl. That limits them, in most cases, to 25-40 minutes in length. Considering the rule-of-thumb of a bit over 10 MB / minute of audio, uncompressed and approx 50% compression with FLAC, I generally get 200 - 250 MB (in FLAC) for a 30 minute album, er... CD.

Newer releases *generally* have longer running times and will, of course, take more MBs. So I'd guess. radish, that most of your CDs fall in the "newer release" category. Of course, you can trade processing time and get a bit better compression, if you set up your FLAC program that way, but even the highest compression settings aren't going to get you much over 50% (consistently) with FLAC.

Robert

radish wrote:

I keep meaning to compile some statistics on the average size of my
compressed albums, but a quick scan shows they tend to be between
200-400MB

Wow. Mine average 500, I must have some kind of broken FLAC codec ;) More seriously, I think it must have to do with the type of music. I
always see people saying that you get decent compression with FLAC, and
that albums come in at 300MB or so, but the majority of mine seem to be
500 or higher. I have a number around 600 - seems like very little
compression going on there. It's my personal theory (backed up by very
little evidence) that it depends on the level of dynamics within the
music.