I should start by saying that I think these threads are interesting and
the discussions worth having - there are enough people who have this
immediate reaction that it's clearly an issue for some.  However, it's
very different from my own experience.

I run SC on an old Windows PC (XP SP3) but it's pretty much a dedicated
server (I also use it to rip and store my music and photos/videos, so
there's attendant software for those things too) as well as ESET
Security software.  Doesn't have a high end spec, but has 1gb of RAM so
it's not exactly underpowered.

SC is blistering fast on my setup despite a library of 10,000k+ tracks
- the reaction from the web interface is easily sub one second unless
I'm doing a MusicIP mix which probably takes about two.

I always put it down to the fact that:

a)I don't use the box SC is installed on for anything else;

b)I have stripped out some of the XP bells and whistles (graphics and
animated menus for example);

c) My Squeezeboxes are wireless, but the SC box is wired to my router
(only one wireless hop);

d) I have the server priority set to above average in SC so even if I'm
doing something else on the box, SC should take priority.

None of which necessarily answers the points made in the OP's original
post, but may give him some ideas how to improve your experience given
the current software.  Also, if you're running XP, have you looked at
the Moose front end for Windows - lots of people who have problems with
the web interface say it runs a lot faster for them.  Search for Dr
Lovegrove and Moose in the search engine of your choice.

--
Siduhe

Who am I on 'LAST.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/siduhe)?
"-Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah,
it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho...-" (c) 'ModelCitizen'
(http://www.last.fm/user/Modelcitizen)